“Ole Tyme” salads like egg, ham, tuna and chicken are a lost art that are coming back into vogue at Sunday supper or weekday lunch or even a late night snack! It is also the perfect way to repurpose a leftover. Here, it is the perfect appetizer for the leftover holiday or Sunday dinner ham.
Ham salad in a paprika mayo with Arabelle Candied Jalapenos:
• 1 lb baked ham, finely chopped or pulsed in a food processor
• ½ cup paprika mayonnaise (recipe to follow)
• ½ cup Arabelle Candied Jalapenos, finely chopped (add extra Arabelle Candied Jalapeno syrup for more kick)
• ¼ cup red onion or radish, minced
• Salt and pepper to taste
• 6-8 pieces of pumpernickel or marbled rye bread, cut into 3 inch rounds or crusts cut off & quartered
• 1 cup mayonnaise, preferably Duke’s or Blue Plate
• 1 clove garlic, minced
• 1 tsp Arabelle Candied Jalapeno syrup (add more for a spicier dish)
• 1 tsp sweet paprika
• 1 tsp prepared mustard
Combine ham, candied jalapenos, and red onion. Stir in mayonnaise. Salt and pepper to taste. Stir well until all ingredients are blended. Place a generous spoonful on top of each bread square and plate and serve, or place a second bread square on top of spoonful for a more casual ham salad slider! Either way, plate and serve!